It’s no secret that in recent years, the automotive industry has faced a growing challenge – the shortage of skilled automotive technicians. Finding and retaining top talent is the key to your shop’s success. Let’s explore effective ways in recruiting automotive technicians with these 4 best practices.
Make Your Company Brand Stand Out
Your repair shop’s reputation as an employer plays a large role in recruiting top technicians. Creating a memorable brand for your company can be achieved in several ways:
- Showcase Your Shop’s Culture: Highlight on social media positive experiences and aspects of your workplace culture. Share employee achievements, collaboration, and any unique perks or benefits your shop offers.
- Provide Training Opportunities: Technicians value continuing their education. Outline your commitment and importance of ongoing training, certifications, and professional development.
- Feature Career Growth Paths: Communicate your shop’s potential career paths during the recruiting process. Those who see a clear path for advancement are more likely to choose your shop.
- Share Success Stories with Your Community: Feature testimonials or success stories from your current technicians. People can learn a lot from your team members’ experiences, which can be a powerful tactic in recruiting technicians.
- Be ‘On Your Mission’: Be sure to have your mission statement clearly outlined on your website, posted in the shop, and when recruiting technicians.
Use Online Platforms for Recruitment
There are several ways to recruit technicians online; here are a few to consider:
- Optimize Your Website: If you have your own website, be sure it is user-friendly and provides information about your team, services, and work culture. Make it easy for potential candidates to find out if you are hiring and what positions are available.
- RepairPal Certified Shops have access to a shop profile with their business description, photos, customized messages, and other general business information. Use this opportunity to make sure your shop profile is in tip-top shape so potential candidates can get to know your shop’s culture, reviews, and other offers. Learn more about RepairPal Certification.
- Engage in Automotive Industry-Specific Platforms: Explore job boards and platforms specifically designed for the automotive industry, such as our partners at Wrenchway. Wrenchway is an amazing resource for shop owners, as they are dedicated to solving the technician shortage by highlighting top shops to work at, educating shops how to become better employers, listening to feedback from technicians, and helping schools attract the next generation of technicians. RepairPal Certified Shops receive a $300 discount off of the set-up & training fee when they sign up with Wrenchway, learn more.
Build Relationships with Local Training Programs
Create relationships with local technical schools, vocational training programs, and community colleges as another means for technician recruitment. Consider these approaches:
- Offer Apprenticeships and Internships: Provide opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience from a veteran shop technician, allowing you to access their potential skills and potential fit for your shop.
- Participate in Career Fairs: Attend local career fairs and industry events to connect with local technicians and help showcase your shop as an opportunity for employment.
- Host Educational Events: Organize workshops, seminars, or open houses at your shop for continuing education opportunities for technicians. Use training opportunities to educate potential candidates about your shop, as well as create a welcoming environment for networking.
Research Competitive Benefits
A well thought out and structured benefits plan for potential employees can help you stand out from the competition.
- Competitive Wages: Do your research on industry standards to make sure your wages and offers are competitive. A competitive salary can be a powerful incentive for attracting talented technicians.
- Comprehensive Benefits: Offer a variety of benefits, including health insurance, retirement plans, and other perks. Quality health and wellness benefits can contribute to overall job satisfaction, and make your shop more appealing to work at.
- Performance-Based Incentives: Consider incentives or bonuses based on job performance and goals. This can motivate your current team and also attract candidates who are looking for recognition for their skills, continuing education, and achievements.
Create a Plan and Execute!
Recruiting skilled technicians is an ongoing journey, and these strategies can serve as your roadmap when executing a plan to find top talent for your repair shop. It’s important to ensure your shop is not just a pit stop in their career, but a long-term career destination for skilled technicians. By developing a strong employer brand, leveraging online platforms, building relationships with local training programs, and offering competitive compensation packages; your shop can steer towards successfully recruiting automotive technicians.